Read Our Privacy PolicyCredits
Home
What's New Here
Guestbook
Great Links
Gift Planning
Masonic Villages
Pennsylvania Masonic Youth Foundation
Blood and Organ Donors
Chip Program
Masonic Education
Masonic Videos
Speakers
The Academy of Knowledge
Lodge of Research
Tour of the Temple
Library and Museum
Circulating Library
Contact Us

Back Home

Seal of the President of the United States
Seal of the President of the United States
(Actual size: 13/8 inches in diameter)
The designs of the present Presidential Coat-of-arms, Flag and Seal were adopted by Executive Order of Brother and President Harry S Truman on October 25, 1945, from proposals requested of Commodore Byron McCandless by Brother and President Franklin D. Roosevelt who died on April 12, 1945 before the designs arrived in Washington, D.C. Brother and President Truman suggested the addition of the forty-eight stars. Commodore McCandless' painting with the stars in a circle around the eagle was submitted to the War and Navy Departments for approval. The final design was drawn under the supervision of Arthur E. DuBois, Chief Heraldic Consultant of the Office of the Quartermaster General of the Army.
The President's Seal is used to close official envelopes containing messages or other documents from the President to the Congress of the United States. The Great Seal of the United States is affixed by the Secretary of State to documents signed by the President.
The old Coat-of-arms was first used on Executive Mansion invitations by President Rutherford B. Hayes (1822-1893, President 1877-1881). Brother and President Theodore Roosevelt had the old Seal in bronze set into the floor of the entrance to the White House. The Coat-of-arms, upon the request of President Woodrow Wilson (1856-1924, President 1913-1921), found its way onto the President's Flag and the White House china. When the Executive Office was remodeled during Brother and President Franklin D. Roosevelt's administration, the Seal was set into the ceiling. (Adapted from The National Geographic, Vol. 90, No. 1, July 1946) p. 38.) Since the adoption of the new Seal (Coat-of-arms and Flag) by Brother and President Harry S Truman (1884-1972, President 1945-1952), two identical changes have been made. After Alaska became the forty-ninth State on January 3, 1959, President Dwight D. Eisenhower (1890-1969, President 1953-1961) signed an Executive Order (dated May 26, 1959, effective July 4, 1959) adding a forty-ninth star to the circle. On August 21, 1959, Hawaii joined the Union, and President Eisenhower signed another Executive Order (dated February 5, 1960, effective July 4, 1960) which added the fiftieth star. This is the version of the Seal (Coat-of-arms and Flag) currently in use. (Adapted from Richard Patterson and Richardson Deyall. The Eagle and the Shield: a History of the Great Seal of the United States. Washington, D.C.: 1976)
Flag of the President of the United States
The first special use of a flag for the President was in 1888. The design of 1945 replaced that of 1916. Instead of facing sinister (its left), the eagle, since 1945, faces dexter, is in natural colors instead of all white, and is surrounded by las of 1960) fifty stars. (Adapted from the National Geographic, Vol. 95, No. 5 (May 1949) p. 640.)
Masonic Presidents Washington's Apron Museum Architecture Samples from the Museum Collection