The Order of the Golden Chain has left tangible evidence of love for mankind in every state where its members serve, in every home wherever they gather. The members of the Order of the Golden Chain and the Charity Foundation believe that all children are exceptional and that the quality of their lives can be enhanced by providing opportunities for each to achieve his or her potential.
The Order of the Golden Chain originated in June, 1929 in Asbury Park, NJ when a group of Master Masons and their female relatives met to fulfill a need for a non-sectarian fraternal organization that would be related to Masonry. Two months later, the Grand Link Order of the Golden Chain was given official status in New Jersey. Constituent Links began to form up and down the eastern coastline and continue to function in New Jersey, Pennsylvania and Rhode Island.
It wasn't long after the Order of the Golden Chain was created that the country was in the thrust of the Great Depression. There was a strong need to belong to a fraternal organization such as the Golden Chain with members dedicated to helping others less fortunate than themselves. During that period, hundreds of thousands of dollars were spent by Constituent Links, from supplying food, coal and medical supplies to endowing much needed equipment for hospitals and convalescent homes for the sick, aged and orphaned.
During World War II, the Order of the Golden Chain sold more than four million dollars of War Bonds, donated ambulances, mobile kitchens, and an airplane named "The Spirit of the Golden Chain." The United States government accorded the Order of the Golden Chain the honor of christening a liberty ship, the Louis L. Bamberger, in recognition of their good deeds.
The Order incorporated its Charity Foundation and in 1945 in Blairstown, NJ, that Foundation established Camp Golden Chain for underprivileged children of all races, creeds and colors. Members of the Golden Chain believe that the encampments have left a marked influence on the children and in some way enriched their lives and enabled them to go on to a brighter future, learning the true meaning of brotherhood and sisterhood.
In the 1970's, the Charity Foundation created a scholarship for the hearing impaired. Each year, a student who meets the qualifications and standards of Gallaudet University, Washington, DC, or Rochester Institute of Technology, Rochester, NY, is selected for the four-year scholarship.
In 1978, the Charity Foundation adopted two major charitable projects: Cancer and leukemia research in children, and children with learning disabilities and minimal brain damage. Also, through the generosity of the members, along with their families and friends, four forests of more than forty trees have been planted in Israel. For its many benevolent acts, the Order was accorded the honor of having the Sunday of Brotherhood Week in February designated as "Golden Chain Day" by the non-sectarian Chapel of the Four Chaplains at Temple University, Philadelphia.
The Order proudly portrays its ideals and principles in a solemn ceremony. Six officers, known as Jewels, exalt the ideals of womanhood in tribute to their accomplishments in the home, in history, and their countless contributions to posterity. Were it not for the fraternal confidentiality, the ritual of the Order of the Golden Chain could be used at an interdenominational services as a shining symbol.