Volume LIXNovember 2012Number 4

Masonic Parade is a Grand Slam

The Grand Slam Parade is hosted annually by the 18th Masonic District and the Valley of Williamsport to pay honor to the late Bro. Carl E. Stotz, John F. Laedlein Lodge No. 707, South Williamsport, the "founder of Little League Baseball." This parade annually kicks off the activities of the Little League World Series.

Pennsylvania Masons certainly made a "grand" appearance on Aug. 15, with all the highest ranking officers in the Grand Lodge, Grand Chapter, Grand Council and Grand Commandery in attendance, along with the Grand Tall Cedar of North America. Other Masonic bodies in attendance included Valley of Williamsport, A.A.S.R.; Zafar Grotto; Shrine Mini Cars; Tall Cedars Mini Cars; and the Irem String Band. The Worshipful Master, Senior Warden and Junior Warden of each of the nine lodges in District 18 rode on a float honoring Bro. Stotz.

Overall, well over 200 Masons marched or rode in the parade, waving to the more than 35,000 spectators along the parade route.

Social gathering of all Masons at the Acacia Club in the A.A.S.R., where all Masonic parade participants were treated before and after the parade with to dogs, snacks, soda and more. R.W. Grand Master Jay W. Smith on the Statue of Liberty float. The Grand Lodge float carrying Grand Lodge officers and the officers of the 18th Masonic District.

Titusville Lodge No. 754 Celebrates 75 Years

Brothers Jay W. Smith, R.W. Grand Master, and Karl R. Felding, W.M., Titusville Lodge No. 754.

In attendance at the Sept. 8 celebration of Titusville Lodge No. 754's 75th Anniversary were Brothers Jay W. Smith, R.W.G.M.; Robert J. Bateman, R.W.D.G.M.; S. Eugene Herritt, R.W.J.G.W.; Bernard D. Hanmore, D.D.G.M. for the 25th Masonic District; and Karl R. Fielding, W.M., Titusville Lodge No. 754.

Also in attendance were other Grand Lodge officers, District Deputies from the surrounding area, officers of Titusville Lodge No. 754, officers of other 25th Masonic District lodges and dignitaries from several subordinate bodies. Grand Master Smith presented Bro. Fielding with a Grand Lodge Medallion and congratulated the lodge in this milestone event.

On Sept. 1, 1937, in response to a petition signed by 187 Master Masons, mostly from Oil Creek Lodge No. 303 or Shepherd Lodge No. 463 and endorsed by three District Deputy Grand Masters, the Grand Lodge of Pennsylvania granted a warrant for a new lodge in Titusville, Crawford County. The warrant was signed by R.W. Grand Master Harold N. Rust and the other Grand Lodge officers, and Titusville Lodge No. 754 was constituted on Oct. 15 of that year. Warrant Officers were Brothers Peter L. Gedeon as Worshipful Master, Harold A. Schwartz as Senior Warden and Knute O. Benson as Junior Warden. Brothers John A. Lawrence, Treasurer, and Frederick S. Carlson, Secretary, were also installed at the time of constitution. On Dec. 27, 1989, Titusville Lodge No. 754 received Sparta Lodge No. 372 by merger.

At the time of the lodge's constitution in 1937, Bro. Franklin Delano Roosevelt was President of the United States and Bro. George Howard Earle, III, was Governor of Pennsylvania.

In that year, the Sesquicentennial of the U.S. Constitution was celebrated in Philadelphia, the first blood bank was established, Amelia Earhart disappeared during her attempt to be the first woman to fly around the world, "Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs" was the first feature-length animated cartoon and was a smash hit, the first editions of J.R.R. Tolkien's "The Hobbit" and John Steinbeck's "Of Mice and Men" rolled off the presses, and Daffy Duck made his debut.


Table of Contents | Index of Issues | Home