|Volume LV||May 2008||Number 2|
State Historic Marker
Dedicated at the Masonic Temple
On Dec. 6, 2007, the Masonic Temple was honored to receive an official Commonwealth of Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission marker. One of only several awarded each year, the marker commemorates the important role the Masonic Temple and Pennsylvania Freemasonry played in the heritage of our state. This marker joins several thousand stretched across the Commonwealth since the program was created in 1946. Although the snowy weather hampered the dedication ceremony, it did not dull the enthusiasm of the participants. The Grand Lodge of Free and Accepted Masons of Pennsylvania and the Masonic Library and Museum of Pennsylvania, led by Ronald A. Aungst, Sr., then-R.W. Grand Master, were privileged to have attending the program, as their guests, former Philadelphia Mayor and Brother John Street and Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission Chairman Wayne Spilove.
Making impressive appearances were Brother John Wanamaker (the prominent Philadelphia merchant and Pennsylvania Mason was portrayed by historical reenactor Robert Gleason), the Sons of the American Revolution Philadelphia-Continental Chapter Color Guard and elements of the Philadelphia Fife & Drum Corp., attired in 18th century uniforms.
"This beautiful marker," said the Masonic Library and Museum of Pennsylvania Executive Director Andrew Zellers-Frederick, "serves to tell everyone who passes by on Philadelphia's Broad Street, the prominence of the Masonic Temple and that it is the first historical building on the expanding northern section of Philadelphia's Avenue of the Arts."
|Table of Contents | Index of Issues | Home|