archThe National Memorial Arch at Valley Forge

Almost 91 years ago, in March 1912, ground was broken for the construction of "... a memorial arch within Valley Forge Park, in commemoration of the patriotism displayed and the suffering endured by Gen. George Washington, his officers and men." Completion was delayed to wait for funding. The National Memorial Arch was dedicated on June 19, 1917.

The 60-foot high, 49-foot by 18-foot granite Arch was designed as a simplified version of the Triumphal Arch of Titus in Rome. On the inner walls of the Arch are bronze plaques with the names of the general officers at Valley Forge.

The National Memorial Arch stood for more than 80 years until it was closed to the public for safety reasons. The Masons of Pennsylvania determined to preserve the Arch in the grandeur it deserves and on Mar. 15, 1996, R.W. Grand Master Edward O. Weisser signed an agreement with the National Park Service at Valley Forge for a restoration project. On Aug. 24, 1997, the Grand Lodge unveiled the restored National Memorial Arch.

At the base of the American flagpole facing the Arch, the Grand Lodge also erected a new monument that pays tribute to Bro. George Washington and the Freemasons who were among the soldiers of his Continental Army encamped there in 1777-78.

Our Monuments:
Washington at Prayer/ The National Memorial Arch/ Friend to Friend
Freemasons Pavilion and Monument
/ Benjamin Franklin-Craftsman

menu