WOODLAWN LODGE NO. 672
F. & A. M. OF PENNSYLVANIA
Woodlawn Lodge No. 672, F. & A. M. of Pennsylvania
was issued a Warrant by the Right Worshipful Grand Lodge of Pennsylvania
on March 5, 1913 for a Lodge of Free and Accepted Masons to be held
in Woodlawn, now Aliquippa, Beaver County, Pennsylvania. Before
Woodlawn Lodge was formally Constituted, the Brethren met as a loose
organization and held a banquet at the Hotel Franklin on March 22,
1911. Not long thereafter, these Brethren formed the
Woodlawn Fraternity Club. From this organization came
the present Lodge. The Grand Lodge met in Orpheum Hall
on Franklin Avenue on May 27, 1913 and Constituted Woodlawn Lodge
No. 672. The Warrant was signed by Brother William L.
Gorgas, R. W. Grand Master, and the other Grand Lodge Officers.
The Warrant Officers were Brothers Robert Creighton,
Worshipful Master; Paul Miller Moore, Senior Warden and John Thompson
Bell, Junior Warden.
Woodlawn Lodge meets in one of eight Counties
erected by the Act of March 12, 1800. The territory was taken from
Allegheny and Washington Counties. The County was named
for the Big Beaver Creek which flows through it. Beaver
County covers an area of 429 square miles. Here many
of the noted Native American Chiefs lived, and here important treaty
conferences were held between them and the Colonial Governments
of Pennsylvania and Virginia. The Act of 1800 designated
"the town on the site of Fort McIntosh " as the County seat.
Beaver, the County seat, was the site of Fort
McIntosh, built in 1778 by General Lachlan McIntosh, and named in
his honor. Previously, the site of Fort Beaver, built by the French
in 1754, it was known as Shingastown, named for a leader of the
Delaware Tribe. The County seat was incorporated in 1802.
Other events of interest that took place in 1913
o On May 31, the 17th Ammendment of the Constitution
of the United States
was adopted. It provided for the popular election of
U. S. Senators, whereas
before they had been chosen by their state legislatures.
o Bro. Augustus O. Bacon became the first U.
S. Senator to be elected by the people after
the 17th Ammendment was adopted.
o The first synthetic rubber was manufactured in
East Watertown, Massachusetts .
o The first underwater photographs were made in
the Chesapeake Bay.
o Grand Central Station was officially opened in
o On December 21, the first crossword puzzle was
published in the New York World.
o On March 10, William Knox became the first man
to bowl a perfect 300 game in an American Bowling Congress tournament.
o The first automobile service station was opened
in Pittsburgh on December 1st.
o And in the summer of 1913, Bro. Henry Ford of
Palestine Lodge in Michigan opened his first assembly line.